Sunday 5 October 2014

Supersize me






York Society Pastel CommentsYay, my canvas finally got here! First step is to print some relevant environmental articles about logging old growth forest (the hypocrisy of using virgin printing paper is not lost on me but I try to minimise by recycling the scraps as note paper). Next is the funnest bit - collaging all the pieces, including handmade papers, tissue paper, gold and copper leaf. Then some random stencilling with modelling paste and its time for the ink. I dribble the inks around in a semi thought out way, trying to avoid muddy colours and keeping the design in mind. The inks are then sprayed with water and allowed to mix of their own accord. The image below is how it is at this moment - I have placed the plastic wrap that the canvas was shipped in and also some old bubble wrap into the wet ink and now I have to wait for it to dry. Also some exciting news! Yesterday I was so lucky to receive the Pastel Prize at the York Society Art and craft fair for 'Carbon Based'. This is the second year in a row that I have won this prize and I feel so lucky. To top it all off, the judges were two very well respected Western Australian artists - Dr Drewfus Gates and his wife Dr Chelllinay Gates, I was so nervous taking my award that when Drewfus put his arm around my shoulder for the photo he noted that I was 'vibrating'! How embarrasing :O Follow this link if you would like to see the judges comments! http://www.yorksoc.org.au/Pastels-2014_000.html

No comments:

Post a Comment