Friday 14 June 2013

looking back...

Ok this is kind of unnerving...while looking through old thumb drives etc I came across this piece that I did a few years back. Sometimes I think I have made progress and then something brings me back down to earth with a thud. Lesson to myself, don't get too lost in trying to progress as an artist, try to remember why you are painting. To me this image (now in the home of someone else) really made me stop and ask myself some questions. Back then I took risks, I painted from my heart and I feel I have lost that somewhat. In the pursuit of trying to produce work that is publicly accepted for exhibitions, sales etc I have forgotten the pure joy of  art for arts sake. Lately I have been trying to reconnect with that artist and I didn't even realise it! I really enjoyed seeing the old me for a second and remembering the joy I felt when I painted this piece, sweeping the strokes and letting my muse tell me where to go. I have stopped listening to my work and this has been a valuable lesson. Time to go through my old stuff and re-evaluate what is actually good and what is 'technically' good.

4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts and great painting. I've found myself going through old things too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Yes the 'apple crate', I think you must have subconsciously inspired me John!

      Delete
  2. I understand and have been there too. The hard part is now you realize it what are you going to do? I do agree with you - if you want to sell to make enough money to support your love of art some conformity may be needed, but you have a beautiful sensitivity in this painting which everyone would respond to. I think I see it in your other work too. It is definitely in the piece you chose for your banner to this blog. I see it in your dog and that is handled in an entirely different manner. So maybe you are not as far apart as you think. Emotional content IS paramount in your work. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for such a lovely, thoughtful comment Julie. It is a delicate balance isn't it? I don't want to lose that emotional connection with the viewer as without that I am not sure why I would exhibit. Nothing feels better than to have someone look at your work and be moved by it, and I must tell you, your work definitely has that effect on me. You haven't compromised your personal style and it shows in the response you have from everyone who sees it. Thankyou for taking the time to check out my blog :)

      Delete